Patients have the following responsibilities:
- Provision of Information: To provide accurate and complete information about present medical problems, past illnesses, hospitalizations, medications, and other matters relating to their health to the best of their abilities. Patients are responsible for reporting whether they clearly understand a course of treatment and to request additional information and clarification.
- Compliance with Instructions: To follow the treatment plan recommended by the provider primarily responsible for their care. This may include following instructions or keeping appointments and notifying the responsible provider or the facility if they are unable to do so.
- Refusal of Treatment: To accept responsibility for actions if they refuse treatment or do not follow the provider's instructions.
- Payment of Charges: To meet financial obligations or make the facility aware of financial hardship. Patients are responsible for understanding the requirements of their insurance plan and for providing necessary information for insurance claims.
- Healthcare Facility Rules and Regulations: To follow the facility’s policies and procedures regarding patient care, safety, and conduct.
- Advance Directives: To insure that the facility has a copy of their written advance directive, if they have one. Patients have a responsibility for informing the physician and other caregivers of their care wishes if they do not have an advance directive.
- Respect and Consideration: To be considerate of the rights and property of other patients and the facility’s personnel. Patients admitted to the hospital are also responsible for following the hospital’s policy regarding number of visitors.
- Concerns or Complaints: To tell facility staff if they are not satisfied with their care and follow appropriate channels for submitting a compliant or grievance.
Resources to share complaints or concerns and resolve issues include:
- Your provider
- Registered nurses caring for you
- Unit manager
Or, you may write or call:
Patient Experience Liaison
Marshfield Clinic Health System
1000 N. Oak Avenue
Marshfield, WI 54449-5777
Phone: 1-800-782-8581, ext. 7-5300
For Laboratory concerns, call the Laboratory medical director or quality manager at 715-221-6300.
You also may contact these agencies about issues concerning patient safety and quality of hospital care that has not been addressed to your satisfaction:
The Joint Commission
One Renaissance Boulevard
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
KEPRO (for Medicare beneficiaries)
5201 W. Kennedy Blvd., Ste. 900
Tampa, FL 33609
Phone: 1-855-408-5557 or 1-855-843-4776 (TTY)
Wisconsin Division of Quality Assurance
P.O. Box 2969
Madison, WI 53701-2060
For Laboratory concerns contact:
Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Central Office
Division of Laboratory Services (CLIA)
7500 Security Boulevard, Mail Stop S2-12-25
Baltimore, MD 21244-1850
1-877-267-2323, ext. 63531